Despite our best efforts in dealing with the drought, two of the zucchini plants suddenly collapsed yesterday.
Several squash bugs emerged from the compost at the base of the plants as we watered. We found several clusters of copper colored eggs on the surface of some of the leaves.
Because so many of the flowers were actively being pollinated yesterday morning, we waited several hours before spraying the plants, flowers, leaves and zucchini with Sevin.
This morning we found adults squash bugs on several of our massive butternut squash plant’s leaves. Turning over the leaves and stems revealed mating squash bugs, an ovipositing female, a large number of egg clusters, and several minute gray nymphs.
The bush cucumbers, which are bearing well, and the heavily flowering melon plants are unaffected at this point. I am crushing the eggs, nymphs and adults as I encounter them.
We’re off to problem solve with some of the County Extension staff later today.